Friday 28 August 2009

Over for now.

The night shifts are done for now.

I'm back in my home, not my digs, having managed to get the work done and left early for the extended weekend. I'm a bit wired, though, from the drive and from drinking energy (read stimulant) drinks for the drive home... so I'm waiting to unwind.
Actually, its starting - I can feel tiredness creeping up on me as I type.

The peculiar madness that afflicts me at work is passing... I clock watch. Not just "its 4 and I leave at 5" but "Its 10:30 and I'm halfway through my first day, which means 1/8 of the week, so this time tomorrow I'll be 25% of the way done and..." so on and so on...
It drives me mad, because at some point I'll work out that I'm only 3 days from Monday morning again and I go into another spiral of working out what I have left for me.
It never comes out good, but I can't seem to stop myself.

Last night I spent time trying to remember all my jobs that I've had since I was 15. It was late, I was tired and trying to keep some sort of focus...
Furniture polish remover, paperboy, barman, brewer, microbiologist, QC technician, food technician, Trading standards assistant, picker, packer, problem solver, customer service rep. I came to the conclusion that I hated every single job I have ever had.
With the possible exception of Barman.

I don't think my brain is designed for work. Maybe for some sort of flashy consultancy, or dilettante arty-farty thing... but not the daily grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment