Wednesday 1 September 2010

Visits, tantrums and more.

So... the day began predictably enough. Promises to be out of the door at a certain time are reneged upon and we leave for a 90minute drive with 55minutes to spare.
Predictably, again, the motorway system is crap and we arrive 25minutes late.
Its a model village near London and we meet up with Yankee Boy and American Mom and the offspring as they haven't seen Number1 Son or Wifey this visit.
I'm stressed because of the drive and because I hate being late, but we are there, eventually.
We chat, have an ice cream, wander round look at the exhibits, explain some to the American offspring, and Number 1 Son. So far so good.
I get a message from LBJ, but don't pass it on immediately, for reasons that will become clear later... And the kids play on the slides, climbing frames, etc. This is when it begins.
Stroppy Boy becomes very stroppy. He's moaning about everything and starting to get mean. I give him a couple of quid to play on a boat thing that costs £1. He goes of with American Mom. The girls play on, happily.
Its decided we should head back to the home base and regroup.
Stroppy Boy returns and demands more money from me and Wifey. No chance, pal. He kicks off with YB and AM. They threaten sanctions and the girls are collected. YB avoids the gift shop, but AM goes in with Stroppy Boy. He is demanding a car. AM says no, he freezes in the shop, folds his arms like a genie and refuses to move until her gets a car. I move through and ignore him.
Outside YB has Oldest Girl and New Arrival. I tell him about the text from LBJ, he makes all the right 'ahhh' noises. AM arrives with Stroppy Boy "He wants a car". Soon after, he gets a car.
We get back to the home base and park up, wander in a park. Stroppy Boy and Oldest girl want to go on everything they see... inflatables, trampolines, crazy golf. Stroppy Boy is fuming every time he is told no.
We find a Nando's and order food. New Arrival is baling and tired so AM walks her in the pram. Stroppy Boy is a pain, but food is ordered, paid for and we wait.
Finally it arrives, and nothing is right. Meals have the wrong sides, or none at all, the wrong dressings, unordered food is offered... The manager comps the lot to us. Except that it has to be at that branch. So we give vouchers to the Older Brother's family. Damn.
On the walk back I decide to try something. "Hey, American Mom, LBJ said 'Hi' to everyone..." I say. She doesn't react. Not a flicker. Nothing.
I ask Wifey a little later if she noticed. Maybe YB said something earlier? But she'd have said 'yeah - YB told me...' right? All agree. She heard and blanked it.

'Even I can't spin that to a positive.'

We return to the place they are staying. They have baby sitters and we deposit the kids, make a minor running repair on my car new and alarming rattle, and head to the pub where a jolly if, in my case, sober evening is had.
Near the end of the night AM says 'we know so few happily married couples like you' - I almost bit my tongue in two...

Oh, and Oldest Girl was a little stroppy, but she's 9, jet-lagged and was barely any trouble at all. Hard to believe, but its true!
Similar for New Arrival.
But Stroppy Boy.... damn he lived up to the nickname. What a pain he was... which is a shame because I know he can be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment