Wednesday 6 October 2010

Quotation.

Anyone who knows me will tell you I love quotations.
Like facts they lodge in my brain and hang on for grim death. Not only do I love them but I think they can be useful. Not for making yourself look clever, but to put a point across.
Many years ago I remember hearing a documentary about an anthropologist staying with a tribe in Oceania somewhere. The elders or council only spoke in proverbs, quotations, and aphorisms when discussing a matter of importance to the tribe or village. It was fascinating to hear someone translate.
It went a bit like this.
"A waterfall is never dry" said one. There was a quiet pause.
"But the butterfly cannot rest in the rain" said another. Again a pause for contemplation
"A man cannot feed his family with stone, but can build a house" said another. More silence.
It was fascinating as we were never told what they were discussing, or what the decision was. But they spoke like this for a while, and then it was decided and they all went away, if not happy, then content that the matter had been considered properly by all concerned. Nothing else needed to be said. I envied them for their insight.

That said, I usually enjoy daft quotes. With a few pertinent ones thrown in...

"You can't have everything, where would you put it?" Stephen Wright.

"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic." Spike Milligan.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"Our new Constitution is now established, and has an appearance that promises permanency; but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes." Franklin again.

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?... If he is unable to do either, then why call him 'God'?" Epicurus

""That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed." Joseph Heller - Catch-22

"My name in Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." The Princess Bride.

"We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!" Withnail in Withnail and I.

"I could dance with you until the cows come home, or better, I could dance with the cows until you come home!" Groucho Marx

1 comment:

  1. Stephen Wright proves himself to be far wiser than the pickles guy.

    ReplyDelete