Sunday 31 October 2010

A recipe.

I'm beginning to wonder why I started this... But I did, so I will persist!

I used to work in a place of massive cultural diversity, and I had no idea how much I enjoyed that until I worked in a place with a load of Brummies that have less culture than yoghurt. One of the many advantages of this was encountering food from all over the world. Not the restaurant food that we see, but the real, honest stuff. Stews, curries, ingredients, ideas... I'd never have tried chili on watermelon without the Colombian girl, or Coca-Cola Chicken without China Girl, or this recipe without La Mexicana.

Apparently "Huevos Rancheros" is something every Mexican mother can cook, but no two are the same. Some use scrambled eggs, some have cheese, some leave out the things I add - and my version isn't quite what I was taught.
But this is the version I make for me and Number 1 Son, and we love it. Its great for Saturday Brunch, and can cure a hangover.

You will need.
An Egg.
Corn Tortilla.
Hot Salsa.
Guacamole.
Sour cream.

Method.
Warm the tortilla (and it HAS to be a corn tortilla, not a flour one because that's just not as good in any way - we tried) while you fry the egg to your taste. But if I may suggest, leave the yolk as runny as possible because it mixes with the salsa better that way.
Put the egg on the tortilla, add the salsa (which should be as hot as you can stand, don't wimp out, egg and chili work well together.)
Add Guacamole and Sour Cream.
Fold.
Eat.
Lick salsa, egg yolk, cream and avocado from fingers and round mouth.
Repeat as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment