Sunday 11 October 2009

Scared

Well, its been a long day.
Up early, 12hrs of work, though my mate came in early to take over so I could go and watch the game, a few beers watching the game go badly wrong, then eventually to bed at about 11:40.
Then it all went wrong. And for once, not by my hand, but I'm still scared and shaking here as I'm writing.

About 12:00 there was a noise. Someone knocking on the door. Knocking insistently.
It was Landlady's boyfriend. He's been drinking all day and she'd left him to it, apparently. Trouble is he has a habit of knocking on the door when he's had a few. But it didn't disturb me too much and I rolled over to go back to sleep.
The next thing I know is I can hear someone coming in through the back door of the house. For a moment I panicked, then thought, "oh crap, its the BF coming in - they'll be shagging upstairs..."
I hear him go up past my room, and to the room above. I can hear voices, but not what's being said. Then I can hear whats being said in way too much detail for my liking. He's ranting at her for what I'm not exactly sure, but he's shouting and swearing and stomping about. Then he stamps down the stairs, slams her bedroom door and stamps down past my room shouting something about getting nothing out of the relationship and he does everything she wants all the time... A bit rich considering I know he's been out with his mates all day.
But at least its over... right?
Wrong.
After about another 5 minutes there's a crash from downstairs - whether he's crashed into something drunk or deliberately broken something, I don't know, and I'm not going to find out. I do decide to reach out of the bed very quietly and get a t-shirt and trousers on, as I'm now frightened and concerned I will become the target for his very considerable rage.
There is more stomping up, and down, stairs. More swearing at her. More accusations of horrible treatment of him due to not answering a text message or call immediately, at least this is the gist of the row, I think. By now I have put ear plugs in and am lying in the dark with my adrenaline levels going through the roof. I'm expecting the door to my room to fly off the hinges at any second and I'll be attacked. He's escallated his shouting and the ear plugs are no longer stopping the noise he's creating.
He's stomped down the stairs again and this time, I think, he's gone.
It's gone quiet at any rate, which is sort of an improvement, but I'm waiting for it to kick off again.
Thankfully it doesn't, but I hear LL get up and go down to the kitchen. Then there is the aroma of a cigarette, so I know she's stressed as she doesn't smoke in the house unless she's in a state.
And finally, a few moments ago, I hear her leave the house very quietly. Presumably going to his place, a few doors down the road, to make up, or row more. So long as I can't hear them - I don't care much which it is at this moment.

The guy scares me. Not because I think I couldn't hold my own against him, but because he seems to be on the edge of violence, especially against LL, so very often. Everyone rows with a partner, and shouting and things happen - but these rows, and I've seen about 5 since I've been renting this room, are getting scarier. He nearly lost his job after getting into a physical fight with his boss earlier this year while on a night out, but it was decided it was "not related to work" so no action was taken.

Perhaps I'm just getting older and softer, but I'm starting to wish I had somewhere else to stay.
Either way, it's 1:30 now and I don't think I'll be able to sleep for a while yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment