Friday 24 July 2009

Depression

Eddie Munster sent me a message today saying that he was having a bad day.
I knew what he meant.
Eddie suffers depression, although he's been ok for longer than I have. From that you'll know I suffer it too.
He was the first of my friends to out himself as a depressive and we were all a bit bemused. He is the richest, funniest, fittest, most attractive, brightest, luckiest out of all the people I know... so what has he got to be depressed about? Well - I think for a long time he was lonely.
Now he is married to a really wonderful woman, and they are expecting their first child. So what has he got to be depressed about?
I don't know.
But I do know that when you open your eyes and that black hole is sucking at your soul - there isn't much you can do to stop it. There are techniques to deal with it, to make the adrenaline go away, to stop the panic... but (in my case at any rate) there feeling that you are shit, not worth it, useless, a drain on the world family friends universe, doesn't go away.

I did what I could - I sent a message back saying "It will be fine" - and hoped that was what he needed to hear. Sometimes it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment